Holmes Mill, established in 1823 when the first of it’s multi-storey spinning blocks were erected on the site by John Taylor.
A second spinning block, named New Mill was added to the site in 1830 by Edmund, John & James Mercer along with David Murray, who purchased the original mill and combined the two into a single manufacturing complex.
More extensions took place in 1848 when a four-storey office and warehouse extension saw the mill grow even further in size.
A weaving house was added to the site in 1853, the mill complex was now home to 16,000 mule spindles and 707 looms, powered by at least two beam engines.
Clitheroe Manufacturing Limited took over production of the mill in 1884. Shortly after, the original 1820’s block was stripped of machinery and used as Clitheroe Technical School up until 1916.
1905 saw the New Mill and its associated buildings sold to Henry Parkinson who furnished it with 496 looms and leased the property to James Thornber.
New boiler and engine rooms were built in 1910/11, whilst the original beam engine was replaced with a Clayton, Goodfellow & Company cross-compound horizontal engine.
The original 1820’s block was reopened by Norman Roberts for yarn doubling in 1939. The 1905 boiler house had its Lancashire boilers removed and was converted, as was much of the original site which was either rebuilt, repurposed or updated.
It was given Grade II listed status under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990.
In 2015, the site was purchased by James’ Places Group. Although in poor condition, following almost 200 years of alteration and changes to accommodate a variety of uses and having lain empty since the 1970’s.
Our vision is to bring this beautiful building back to life and enhance the features it holds in abundance. At the heart of the whole complex is the new brewery and beer hall, a showcase for Bowland beers alongside many others from respected suppliers both nationally and worldwide.
By the time it is finished it will still look like a thing of purpose that has been transformed into a thing of beauty.